Andrew Olsen is Senior Vice President at Newport One, a direct response fundraising agency headquartered in Duxbury, MA. Prior he was an independent fundraising consultant and is the author of Rainmaking: The Fundraiser’s Guide to Landing Big Gifts.
Learn more about Newport One at http://www.newportone.com.
- How’d you get into fundraising? [01:10]
- Why’d you get into fundraising? [02:19]
- Transitioning to Newport One [06:27]
- The book [07:49]
- Boards [10:47]
- How do you get a client started? [13:32]
- A menu of services? [15:19]
- Biggest mistake? [16:36]
- Your business model [18:42]
- Hiring outside help? [20:41]
- To those getting started [21:24]
- Lightning Round [23:32]
Sheila Dwyer Schwartz is the founder and principal of Dwyer Philanthropy. She started her consultancy because she wanted to work for mid-level nonprofits.
Her experience was in working for larger organizations and this was her way of working with a bunch of organizations she felt she could make an impact with.
Learn more about her consultancy on her website.
- How long have you been running your consultancy? [01:17]
- How did you expand? [02:15]
- How do you utilize LinkedIn? [03:39]
- How do you create a sense of urgency? [04:37]
- How do you reject working with a client? [07:27]
- How do you measure success? [09:05]
- Does your team work in the same location? [13:53]
- What would you change if you were starting over? [17:30]
- How do you work with long term clients? [19:29]
- Billing [20:26]
- What’s your typical schedule? [21:23]
- Lightning Round [23:05]
Missy Gale is president of M. Gale & Associates. She has been running her business since 2009 and builds on her experience in the healthcare sector and her marketing and advertising education. M. Gale & Associates showcases what a great team based consultancy can look like.
You can find more information at mgaleassociates.com.
- Your background [01:19]
- What’s your biggest strength as a consultant? [04:21]
- Creating assets for clients [06:49]
- How’d you expand your team? [07:31]
- Referrals? [09:47]
- Do you work with an administrative assistant? [09:57]
- How do you work with uncoachable staff? [10:18]
- How soon were you able to go full time? [12:11]
- What costs did you have to get started? [13:50]
- What would you change if you were starting fresh? [15:20]
- Any favorite tools you use to run your business? [17:42]
- Who on your team does the initial prospect outreach? [18:39]
- What’s your typical schedule? [19:58]
- Lightning Round [22:15]
Nadine Gabai-Botero has been the principal of Focus Fundraising for the past 9 years. Her background is in fundraising for arts organizations, but as you’ll hear in the interview she has expanded to help different types of nonprofits meet their goals by focusing on creating a great strategy.
You can find more information about Focus Fundraising at Focus-Fundraising.com
- How’d you decide what to focus on? [01:34]
- What was your original website like? [03:09]
- What did you learn from your career that helps you as a consultant? [03:58]
- How’d you name your company? [05:21]
- What’s your most popular service? [06:24]
- Staff and budget advice? [07:50]
- How do you work with difficult boards? [10:02]
- Why’d you start your business? [11:38]
- Did you go full time right away? [12:47]
- What was your marketing approach in the beginning? [13:45]
- How’d you find the people you partner with? [14:47]
- What’s your biggest challenge? [18:20]
- Lightning Round [19:57]
Jeff Brooks is a fundraising consultant and Fundraisingologist at Moceanic. His expertise is in writing and you’ll learn some great tips in this episode on how writing for fundraising is different from other industries. You can find more about Jeff Brooks at www.jeff-brooks.com.
- Jeff’s background [01:19]
- Writing [02:49]
- How’d you get into nonprofit work? [03:53]
- What’d you need to learn to write for fundraising? [05:19]
- Favorite writing projects? [07:36]
- What’s your current role? [10:07]
- The business model [13:52]
- Branding [14:32]
- Format of the classes [15:21]
- Board member for 9 years [17:16]
- Favorite tools as a writer? [19:02]
- Lightning Round [22:32]